Sat 27 Apr 2024
Goole RUFC
Tries: D Holt, R Lamb, R MooreConversions: T HoltPenalties: T Holt
Firwood Waterloo RFC
Tough Battle Against Waterloo

Tough Battle Against Waterloo

Goole RUFC1 May - 08:19
Share via

Goole Setup Pizza Cup Semi

With two hard fought cup victories under their belt in the last seven days Goole faced another tough cup fixture, this time against high flying Regional 2 North West league runners-up, Firwood Waterloo from Liverpool. After overcoming Cleckheaton in the Yorkshire Cup Semi-final on Wednesday night, there were inevitable changes to the Goole starting line-up with Eddie Newsum rested, Oli Sugden starting at prop, Josh Malcolmson on the wing and Sam Smith back in his familiar centre position. James Chantry joined Charlie Walton in the 2nd row with Oli Raynor at number 8 following his outstanding contribution against Cleckheaton. The quality on the bench once again highlighting the strength in depth that Goole have assembled this season.
With Goole kicking off into a brisk breeze, the early exchanges were, as expected, very evenly matched with the quality of both teams becoming very evident as the game progressed. With no clear advantage to either team from the early scrums and both teams conceding penalties, neither team had possession long enough to exert any prolonged pressure on the opposition. Goole just about shaded it in the early stages but Waterloo showed that they are a well-coached and organised team and as a result there were very limited line breaks from the Goole attackers, both teams looking to take advantage of any errors or below par aspects of the opposition’s play. One early example being when a loose Goole pass that went to ground and cost them 60m as Waterloo hacked on with Billy Walker coming to the rescue with a try saving tackle close to the Goole line preventing Waterloo taking the lead. It was Waterloo that had the first clear scoring opportunity after 24 minutes of play but missed the 40m penalty attempt as the game remained scoreless. In the end it was a piece of good fortune that got Goole the opening score when, following an attack down the left flank, a low pass hit Danny Holt’s legs, bounced forward allowing him to gather and go over for the try. The successful conversion from Tom Holt giving Goole a 7 – 0 lead. As you would expect from a quality team Waterloo came back with a vengeance as they won a penalty that was kicked for a line out 10m from the Goole try line. An initial strong carry got them past the gain line as the ball was then passed out to the Waterloo centre who crashed through the attempted Goole tacklers to score beside the posts with the simple conversion bringing Waterloo level at 7 – 7 with just 5 minutes of the half remaining. With Sam Smith leaving the field after a heavy knock and Oscar Sugden filling the centre position, it was Waterloo that looked the most likely to score and that almost happened, with Jack Smith this time producing the try saving tackle just metres from the Goole line. Waterloo retained possession in the tackle and drove forward over the Goole try line only to be held up with additional relief for Goole as the referee blew for half time. HT 7 – 7.
Half time change for Goole with youngster Oli Sugden, who had performed admirably, being replaced with Wileman as Charlie Walton gathered the kick off to get Goole on the front foot and Waterloo repulsed the early threat and with Goole’s winger Malcolmson down with a minor injury, they failed to take advantage of a scoring opportunity when they had an overlap out wide. Lamb then replaced Blanchard as Goole spilt the ball under pressure near the Waterloo try line but followed this up with a successful mid-field penalty from Tom Holt, and retake the lead 10 – 7 with Connor Walker now in the fray and at his devastating best. The next score almost gifted to Goole as Waterloo tried to be far too clever with a goal line drop out as they kicked short in an attempt to reclaim possession. The ball was gathered by the alert Billy Walker just 8m from the try line and with quick support Goole came away with a try from Ryan Lamb who powered over from close range. The difficult conversion was missed but the brief scoring burst now giving Goole a 15 – 7 lead after 14 minutes of the second half.
At this stage, Waterloo went through an undisciplined spell, receiving a yellow card and appeared to be reacting to the referee’s on-field decisions before self-composure and discipline returned, allowing them to refocus on the game and push back the Goole defence that were uncharacteristically tackling far too high. “Legs, legs, they can’t run without their legs” being a regular cry from my wife when watching rugby and this was an aspect of Goole’s tackling that was temporarily lacking. The Waterloo ball carriers being allowed to gain ground and offload against a retreating Goole defensive line as they won a penalty that was kicked to the corner for a 5m lineout. Possession from the lineout resulting in a try alongside the posts for an easy conversion to close the gap to 15 – 14 mid-way through the second half. Now playing with a renewed fire, Waterloo pressed to get the upper hand as Goole looked a little flat following their midweek exertions. More replacement changes for Goole with Louis Sugden now on and Will Townend returning giving Goole the boost they needed as they came out of their malaise and once again competed admirably. Tom Holt aiding the cause with a long raking clearance kick to the Waterloo 22.
As the evenly matched game continued Waterloo had the opportunity to take the lead with a penalty kick against the breeze from 30m. To the delight of the home team supporters the kick was missed as Goole also benefited from the return of Ashton Neal following an earlier yellow card. After repelling Waterloo’s attacking efforts, Goole were awarded a penalty in the Waterloo half with just about everyone on the touchline was if favour of a kick at goal but after a word with the referee Moore opted for a kick to the corner as the clock ran down. Goole possession from the lineout and another penalty awarded with just three minutes left saw a repeat kick for a 5m lineout that Goole won once again to set up a solid driving maul with Moore touching down to secure the match. The last kick of the match conversion was missed but the final whistle followed as Goole once again ground out a hard, fought win against another quality team. Difficult Man-of-the-Match selection once again with numerous contenders with Danny Holt and Charlie Walton being the back and forward selected, as Goole’s successful season just keeps rolling along.
Goole’s reward for their efforts is a home draw this Saturday in the semi-final against Malton & Norton, kick off 3.00pm

Match details

Match date

Sat 27 Apr 2024




Team overview
Further reading

Team Sponsors

Match & Kit Sponsor - Level Best
Match Sponsor - Rollits LLP
Match Sponsor - Simply Home Interiors
Match Sponsor - MNA Consulting (UK) Ltd
Match Sponsor - H. Walton
Match Sponsor - Dimmack Brothers
Match Sponsor - Filplastic UK Ltd
Match & Shirt Sponsor - Harman Carpets
Match Sponsor - Croda
Match Sponsor - JoS Richardson & Son
Match Sponsor - Complete Weed Control
Match Sponsor - Link Agency
Match Sponsor - Farmstar Ltd
Match Sponsor - Northern Game Feeds Ltd
Match Sponsor - Townends Chartered Accountants
Match Sponsor - Sowerby FRS
Match Sponsor - Butt Farm
Match Sponsor - Eastwood Civils and Groundworks
Match Sponsor - NatWest
Match Sponsor - Websters
Match Sponsor - Half Moon - Newton On Derwent
Match Sponsor - Glasson Grain
Shirt Sponsor - DRF Electrical Ltd
Match Sponsor - Enviroclean
Match  - Yorkare Homes
Match Sponsor - AON
Match Sponsor - Symes Bains Broomer Solicitors
Match & Shirt Sponsor - Grimme
Match - Airfield Concrete & Aggregates
Match - Azets
Match - Classic Concrete
Match - Mammoet UK Ltd